Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Mystery Stole # - Clue 1 done!

I am also new to this blogging experience but not to knitting. Knitting, needlepoint and other crafts have been a part of my life for decades. The number of sweaters in my closet and the items of needlepoint throughout my home attest to that. Today I am starting the blogging experience just a few days after starting a new knitting experience.

This morning I finished clue 1 as I was watching Wimbledon tennis. Below is the result of my work thus far:





This is the beginning of a great love affair for me - lace knitting! I have never tried it before and I have loved every second of it! Even when the one bead fell off the crochet hook prior to placement. I had never thought of trying lace and/or bead knitting until now. It took a post on the NETA (New England Textile Arts) mailing list for me to realize that this group even existed. Once I read about it, I was intrigued.

A solid color was suggested for the shawl. But ... I had this beautiful skein of Cobwebs (80% alpaca, 20% silk) in a beautiful color from Great Adirondack Yarn Co. So, I wound it up and started the swatch. When it came to getting the beads, I had to do a little hunting around. I went to a bead shop up in Stowe, VT hoping to find the desired size 8o beads. When I mentioned the specifics to the store owner, she didn't know what I was talking about. So, I walked around the shop and found just the right beads waiting for me in a jar. If I didn't get enough I will just have to go back to Stowe for more.

Everybody have a great 4th! Now, I will work on other projects (2 needlepoint, and 2 knitting) while I patiently wait for the next clue to be posted this coming Friday.


5 comments:

Redtabby said...

Hey I get to be the first person to leave a comment for you. Looks like your choice of yarn is working just fine so far,and your lace looks good. I have used GA Soxie and really love it. My stole yarn won't be here for maybe a week yet, so I will have a lot of catching up to do.

I learned to knit over twenty years ago, and was heavily into Aran sweaters but no lace to speak up, so this stole will be my first real fancy lace project.

Enjoy!

robin-m said...

Now THAT is some gorgeous yarn! And it looks like you MS3 is going great. I'm using a variegated yarn, too - malabrigo in "Velvet Grapes." I'll check back here -- I look forward to seeing your progress on MS3. -- robin-m

Mitchypoo said...

That is really gorgeous, I love the color. Isn't this a fun project? I'll post pics later.

Deborah said...

Your stole looks just beautiful so far! Great job! I love your yarn.

Izzy said...

That is beautiful. I love the yarn, too. I am only on row 30 something, but I will get there in the end with such inspirational pictures already posted by others, so thanks!

Happy knitting!